Sunday 12 October 2008

I'm here!!

Arrived in Bangkok early this morning after a a flight via Bahrain. Was delayed by a couple of hours.

Its hot and humid but actually not unbearable if you take it easy (I might not be saying that in a few days!!).

I left the airport to the taxi driver playing Coldplay - the last band I ever expected to hear as I stepped out of Bangkok airport!! People seem to be a bit unhappy about the political situation but so far, I'd say it seems like its business as usual here.

Hotel is right in the middle of the backpacking district - Banglamphu - which basically means there's alot of sunburnt Brits, Germans, Russians and French walking around looking at market stalls full of tie-dye sarongs, ethnic jewellry etc etc. I have a feeling its all over priced but I've had a lovely afternoon doing some serious window shopping!!

One road James, Kate, Elizabeth, Mum and Chrissy would love is Rambuttri Road as the whole street is dedicated to buying and selling used books - people trade thier books for ones they haven't read yet. I bought 'The Night Watch' by Sarah Waters as we have a 12 hour drive to Siem Reap in Cambodia tomorrow.

There are some Thai people who do actually live here though - I walked down an alleyway and a big group of men were huddled around a TV watching Thai boxing and then I discovered next door to them was an outdoor Thai boxing ring with all the photos of the victories posted up. Down another alleyway was a lady dying her husband's hair back to black in the middle of the street using a toothbrush.

Recurrent colours on the streets and around are yellow, purple and red. Everywhere smells of spring rolls!!

Going back to hotel now as I'm feeling quite jet-lagged. Hannah should be arriving about 8.00pm. Cambodia tomorrow.

No comments: